Subject: Re: netbsd on imac G3 - 750
To: Riccardo <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/07/2004 18:38:55
On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 01:02:29PM +0100, Riccardo wrote:
> Benny Lootens wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I burned macppc.iso to a CD and booted my imac G3/750 with the keypress
> > C and that doesn't unfortunately.
> > When I boot with the Mandrake PPC CD, there is no problem and everything
> > installs fine ... can someone help me ? I would really like to try NetBSD.
> unfortunately, NetBSD doesn't seem to be so smooth and userfriendly to
> boot directly off the CD.
> If you had read the installation document you would have known though!
>
> Since the iMac is fairly new though, you require quite little
> OpenFirmware interaction. Read the documents and follow what  "version
> 3" of OF suggests;

I'm about to have another go with a power macintosh 5500/225 which has
of 2.0.3 - in the bootable cd rom howto, it mentions:

   <BOOT-SCRIPT>
   boot cd:,ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc
   </BOOT-SCRIPT>

          ... Open Firmware treats the boot file name as
          case sensitive. Most (if not all) Open Firmware 1.0.5, 1.1.22,
          and 2.0.x systems will think the bootloader is OFWBOOT.XCF ...

So should the boot script read

   boot cd:,OFWBOOT.XCF netbsd.macppc

in that case? (Just to save time...)

Cheers,