Subject: getting X11 on the 9500
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/06/2004 10:48:01
Hello!

I made a big progress with the open-firmware and my 9500. Using the
network, as said, I could install the basic system. Also I was able to
set some OF settings so I can easily boot using the terminal console and
it all works. Of course, it is still a nuisance that when getting into
macos everything is wiped out... dual boot is a bit cumbersome (and
besides I still have the interhal scsi-chain disconnected ATM for testin
purposes).

But the progress was great :) Thanks to James, Daniel and the other that
kept me on trying.

The next problem is X11. I took the .tgz that were on the CD and
uncompressed them all using tar xzpvf <file>.

I have a matrox millennium graphics adapter (with Mac bios that works
fine under MacOS) and a multisync monitor.
I used xf86config to write a reasonable setup file.
	- I set wscons mouse since that is said to be the default
	- I set pc 101 keyboard, since I found no "macintosh" option
	- I set [mga] as a video card and gace in some reasonable values and I
set  24bit as default res.

When I type "startx" I get:
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Seems like my Xserver dies or doesn't startup...

I then tried exporting X to a remote host. WHile I can start up programs
like "xlogo" or "xterm" starting "xedit" leads to a coredump.
I don't like that at all.

-Riccardo