Subject: Re: console and video on 9500
To: Riccardo <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/06/2004 00:11:44
--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 07:37:21PM +0100, Riccardo wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> I was able to complete the installation on my 9500. But how can I boot
> in the future and have a console?
> If I set the output and input to the video/keyboard (unfortunately I
> can't use "setnv output-device" I need to use " xxxx" output) it resets
> at every reset. This is quite cumbersome... Since if I start from serial
> console.. I get the console there!
>=20
> Is there no way to have NetBSD  output automatically on video/screen?

Not easily. The problem is that OFW was only intended to be used over=20
serial console on these boxes. Otherwise you'd run MacOS. :-)

Look on the Linuxppc websites. There was OF code you could type in and=20
at least get the 8600 to boot right. The problem for it (and I think the=20
9500 may have the same problem) is that the video doesn't delay long=20
enough in the right place, so video doesn't init. In that case, OFW=20
reverts.

Take care,

Bill

--eHhjakXzOLJAF9wJ