Subject: 9500 partial boot progress
To: netbsd-macppc <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/05/2004 18:45:52
Hello,

I continue the odyssey of getting NetBSD on my 9500/120. After having it
not turn up at all... I found that leaving out the battery and waiting
for it to loose memory helped.
I remounted all the DIMMS (in a different order though) and mounted only
the videocard (I left out the other video card and a lan card)... Maybe
it luck or just chance now I can boot the 1.6.2 cdrom stright out of
openfirmware using an external cd drive.

With the luck I have the disk I wanted to isntall to decided to blink
signalling probably it is broken. Damn! another fujitsu enterprise good
as a paper-weight! Determined though I digged up an old 1 gb drive and
continue the saga.

Once booted (the internal scsi chain is disconnected and the external
has only the HD and the CD-ROM I am booting off) I see some reasonable
loking kernel messages (cdrom is correctly recognized);
I partition the disk and want to install the sets from the cdrom... but
it can't. The device that is auto set is cd0 and the directory is
correct. I think the first  time i saw a "device not ready" blink up
(while the cd spinned up shortly) and disappear. Trying again had no
further improvment and the cd-rom did not spin-up again.

I decided  to do an installation without X11 using the network. I am
currently watching the bytes dripping slowly over FTP. Updates will
follow :)

-Ric