Subject: Re: getting a 9500/120 to boot?
To: Riccardo <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/05/2004 10:07:55
On 4. mar 2004, at 10:41, Riccardo wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to boot the 1.6.2 install cd from a powermac 9500/120 (old
> 1.
> 0.5 OF).
>
> I can't get that thing to boot off the CD! I verified that the CD boots
> on an iBook, so I presume it is OK.

I've tried booting all kinds og 8500/8600/9500 off a CD. Worked like a
charm.

Did you try

0 > setenv real-base F00000
0 > setenv load-base 600000
0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:,\ofwboot.xcf

Where "3" is the ID of your SCSI CD-ROM. You might be able to check the
ID of your CD-ROM by entering

0 > dev scsi show-children

But this does only work every once in a while and with a lot of luck
due to some bug if OF. If you encounter any errors you might have to

0 > reset-all

If you're using an external CD-ROM, you have to use

0 > boot scsi/sd@3:,\ofwboot.xcf

Try also to look at
	http://kelvin.macvaerk.dtu.dk/ans/install/installing_NetBSD.pdf

It's a guide I made for the Apple Network Server. The OF and
motherboard is almost the same, so you just have to use the same
commands. I booted it using an external CD-ROM drive (i.e. the OF
"scsi" instead of "scsi-int").

> I tried booting with serial console or when switching to screen, no
> difference (btw, the example sin the FAQ and install guide are Wrong).

Serial console is the safe way to go.

Good luck.

/Daniel