Subject: getting a 9500/120 to boot?
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Riccardo <rollei@tiscalinet.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 03/04/2004 10:41:12
Hello,

I am trying to boot the 1.6.2 install cd from a powermac 9500/120 (old
1.
0.5 OF).

I can't get that thing to boot off the CD! I verified that the CD boots
on an iBook, so I presume it is OK.

I tried booting with serial console or when switching to screen, no
difference (btw, the example sin the FAQ and install guide are Wrong).

I get consistently the following behavior (trying to boot partition
zero,
since it is OF v1.0.5)

- from the internal CD-ROM, scsi-int/sd@3:0; (which does mount the cd
without problems from macos) I just get a hang. SOmetimes I get the
message "resetting the scsi bus", but it will always hang
- I tried booting off an external CD, scsi/sd@6:0; and at the first
attempt I get a DEFAULT CATCH error (I see the led saying the cd tries
to spin and read) and at a second attempt I get a CLAIM error (the guide
suggests that my computer needs rebooting, but rebooting... doesn't
help!)

I tried setting load-env and real-env as the guide suggests, but I get
no different behavior.

I tried using a boot floppy, starting with boot1.fs floppy and I get the
same problems as with the external CD: first a DEFAULT CATCH and then a
CLAIM.

-Riccardo