Subject: PowerBook 3400 Boot & Install .. HOW?!
To: NetBSD/macppc List <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian K. <outlawsamurai@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/23/2004 21:23:22
I've been through the suggestions, all to no avail, so I'm going to
post the query again...

Installing NetBSD onto a PowerBook 3400c/200... how was it done?

Booting from the CD from the Open Firmware is not possible (from what
I've heard and tried).

The recommended method was via floppy.

So...
Route 1 (Failed): Booting from an MS-DOS floppy (Ref.:
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/macppc/
INSTALL.html#Booting%20off%20an%20MS-DOS%20floppy>) comprised of
netbsd.INSTALL.gz (renamed to netbsd.gz) and ofwboot.xcf.  But that
didn't go anywhere because netbsd.INSTALL.gz is too big to fit on a
floppy by itself.

Route 2 (Failed): creating a NetBSD install floppies (Ref.:
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/macppc/
INSTALL.html#Booting%20off%20the%20NetBSD%20install%20floppy>)
tried with dd under Mac OS X Panther, chugged through just fine until I
actually tried to use the disks -- READ TIMEOUT errors
tried with DiskCopy under Mac OS 9: it tried to make the disks, but at
the end gave an error (-72) "The disk "boot1.fs" has a problem."
tried with rawrite.exe under Windows 2000: chugged through just fine
too, but also READ TIMEOUT errors as with dd produced disks
tried with different floppy disks - still err

-- Open Firmware Screen --
0 > boot fd:0 -
OF_open bootpath=fd
read stage 2 blocks: 01234READ TIMEOUT567. done!
starting stage 2...

 >> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.7
 >> (autobuild@tgm.daemon.org, Tue Apr  8 14:55:46 UTC 2003)
3881664READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ
TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ
TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ
TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@READ TIMEOUT@read text: Input/output
error
\
Please remove disk 1, insert disk 2, and press return...
READ TIMEOUT@open /netbsd.gz: Device not configured
open /netbsd.macppc: Device not configured
Boot:
-- End of Open Firmware Screen --

So...
Thanks in advance, ... possibly.  =\