Subject: problem with boot
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Nathan Moore <nmoore@physics.umn.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/18/2004 14:39:33
Hello,

I looked through the FAQ, but couldn't find the answer to my question.

I've got an old style G3, 300MHz running Open Firmware 2.4.

The machine has a SCSI hard drive, and also CDROM and ZIP100 on the
internal ATA bus.  Machine also has a floppy drive.

When I boot up into open firmware 2.4, I try to go to the scsi hard
drive,

	0>dev scsi

and then

	0>ls

output:

	Children of the node:
	FF83EC08:	/mesh@10000		[mesh]

	Node Adr		Node Name		Compatible

	FF840C90:	/sd@0,0			[sd]
	FF8419E8:	/st@0,0			[st]
  	ok

and then I try to go to the scsi partition for the hard dirve - to find
the boot image,

	0>dev sd
	0>ls
output
	There are no children of node:
	FF840C98:	/sd@0,0		[sd]
when I type
	0>words
the long list of options includes load, list, close, and open - so I
assume it is bootable
but when I look inside to find the bootloader and kernel that I put in
the top level of the OS9 hard drive, I get,
	0>dir
	unable to open DIR device
I've tried
	0>dir scsi/sd@x
for values of x=0,1,...10, but each time I get the same error, "unable
to open DIR device"

I'd be happy to hear any good suggestions about how to get the thing to
boot.

thanks!

Nathan Moore
University of Minnesota Physics