Subject: Re: installing NetBSD *after* MacOSX and Linux
To: None <gj@freeshell.org, port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/09/2004 00:01:59
No, you don't need three partitions.  In some ways having a separate
root partition is nice, but it's hardly necesary on an new-world mac.
If you had to have the kernel before the 8gb mark, a boot partition
might be necesary... and the last I checked you can still use swapfiles
in NetBSD (altho there's always a chance that's been broken too).

As for the installer, it's been a while for me.. but I don't remember
being too impressed with its flexibility.  You'd probably have a better
off just untarring stuff into the NetBSD partition and runing build.sh
to create an up to date install.

As for sharing the home partition, I wouldn't.  I know that Linux's UFS
support doesn't handle the new NetBSD UFS superblocks (*SIGH*).. and
even if you manage to mount a UFS partition from within Linux.. they
recommend you don't mount it RW, but I seem to remember that the ext2fs
support wasn't all that great either.  Seems like FAT is the most
common well-supported FS.

- alex