Subject: Re: installing NetBSD *after* MacOSX and Linux
To: None <gj@freeshell.org>
From: Rudi <101.241781@germanynet.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 02/08/2004 13:42:16
> /dev/hda6, since that's the one I loaded from OF? If not, what do I
> have to do share my disk with the other OSes? I had a look at the
> partioning HOWTO on NetBSD.org but the answers weren't apparent to me.

Try the NetBSD/macppc/Install for information. Partitioning is definitly
different than on x86 where most OSes cannot see the different slices
within the partition and thus only show one NetBSD partition.

In a nutshell you will have to split /hda6 into 3 partitions, at least
then you end up with something similar to what I have running
- very small hfs partion for the installkernel and ofwboot.xcf. This
is the partion you will use in linux yaboot as the boot-partion, it need
to be of hfs (or dos) type otherwise OpenFirmware cannot access it to
boot.
- a small root partition ffs
- and your /usr partion ffs

But you shoud GIVE /macppc/INSTALL a thorough READ before.

Some additional tips that are not in there:
- Linux uses the partition number where NetBsd sticks to type and name
this gives the chance to share the swap partition among them.
- take another look at yaboot from within linux. it can boot your
ffs-root partition, you only need to link the /netbsd to /bsd
in Netbsd-root after installation to make this work.

> I'd also like to use /dev/hda5, which is /home under linux as my /home
> under NetBSD if possible (I remember that NetBSD can read/write ext2.)

I don't remember wether it is in the default kernel. But I have
this work on x86 Netbsd and linux.
On Macppc you might want to investigate using HFS for /home. This could
eventually be mounted from all three OSes. I have not tried this
myself nor ext2 on MacPPC.
Take care.

> Thanks for any insight,
> Gerald