Subject: Re: Opinions / observations on the stability of macppc-current wanted
To: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/31/2004 20:22:10
Hi,

> > I'd like to solicit opinions and / or observations regarding the stability
> > and production-readyness of NetBSD-current for macppc. Anyone?
>
> Opinions & observations apart from the observation that it's been weeks
> since ofwboot could last load a GENERIC kernel? =)

I was in the same position as you - confused, and with little clue after
perusing the mailing lists. So I asked, and with the responses figured out
what was going on - you can see my summary from not too long ago in the
mailing lists - but, in a nutshell, here it is:

NetBSD current kernels have been growing steadily, and the old 5 meg limit
is too restrictive; ofwboot.xcf, therefore, has been updated to load the
kernel into an area of memory irrespective of the LOAD-BASE and REAL-BASE
settings. They can stay the same, and ofwboot.xcf will work with larger
kernels.

So, you have two simple choices: compile a kernel smaller than 5 megs, or
install the new ofwboot.xcf.

How's that?

John Klos