Subject: Re: Latest deal on -current?
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@NetBSD.org>
From: John Klos <john@ziaspace.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/23/2004 15:50:37
Hi,

> > Yes, the fact that releng's last snapshot was more than a month ago isn't
> > very helpful...
>
> I asked about this. The problem is that 1) current has grown, so a full
> build takes a while, and 2) the 1.6.2 release cycle is in process. The
> current builds greatly slow down the 1.6.2 builds, so they have been
> suspended.

I'm not sure I understand that. How many pullups are being done? Once the
pullups are done, building a new set of release snapshots should only take
a few hours. So why would the releng machines be tied up for all of
January? Just curious...

> I asked, and a current build was kicked off manually. Also, I checked, and
> Darrin had fixed the bug that killed the last build. And today's -current
> GENERIC compiled for me just now too.

Ok. I've built and booted a custom kernel using build.sh under 1.6.2, but
the kernel was around 4 megs. Are you saying that the new ofwboot.xcf will
boot larger kernels without any changes or any problems? That's great, but
it might be useful to document that somewhere; I looked through the
mailing list quite a bit, but never saw that discussed.

So, if I get this right, we fetch and install a new ofwboot.xcf, then
don't worry about the size of current kernels?

Thanks,
John Klos