Subject: Re: XFree 4.3 on -stable?
To: None <anselmg@t-online.de>
From: Aaron W. Hsu <noorah@aaronhsu.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/20/2004 21:03:59
> Well, your iBook has a Rage 128 Pro which works fine with
> XFree 4.2. Mine has a Radeon M7500 which don't works
> with XFree 4.2. By the way I've also problems with
> Xmacppc's keyboard mapping which seems to be fixed to
> US-only keyboards. Currently I remap nearly all keys with
> xmodmap, but this won't be an issue if XFree 4.3 would be
> working. Or at least XFree 4.2 with framebuffer XServer -
> but fbdev or afb don't work with:
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Card0"
>         Option      "PanelWidth" "1024"
>         Option      "PanelHeight" "768"
>         Driver      "fbdev"
>         Option      "device" "/dev/ttyE0"
>     VendorName  "ATI"
>     BoardName   "Radeon M7500"
> EndSection
> Any hints?

Hmm, well, come to think of it, I would like to get the framebuffer
working on my iBook too, as I dislike the horrid flicker after leaving
X, but I just tried getting the framebuffer to work on mine, and I got a
module missing error, fbdevhw. I found a module that might have worked,
fbdevhwstub.a and put its path in the XF86Config, but that just causes
and invalid module because it can't find any ModuleData. So, anyone else
have any hints? :-)

I assume you know also that the framebuffer is really picky about Href
and Vref from what I understand. I used to use it when I used OpenBSD,
but I haven't tried it on NetBSD yet. <http://open.bsdcow.net> has an
XF86Config file and setup instructions for an iBook 600, with Refresh
rates and everything, I don't know if that's what your are looking for,
but it might help you, I couldn't get it to work with mine, I don't know
what this error is.

I would love to get this all sorted out.

--
Aaron Hsu
noorah@aaronhsu.com