Subject: Can't boot install CD on Wallstreet Powerbook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Poler <dan@poler.us>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/19/2004 16:43:08
Hi:

Not new to NetBSD but new to Apple's OF implementation. I've a 233mhz
Wallstreet powerbook here (160mb ram, 6gb disk) that I'd like to install
NetBSD 1.6.1 on. Burned the ISO via OSX's Disk Utility; it's properly
readable.

On the Wallstreet, set load-base and real-base as specified in the FAQ,
also turned off auto-boot?... Per the supported model page, the boot
command should be:

0 > boot ide1/@0:0,\OFWBOOT.XCF

Tried this; the CD-ROM clicks for a moment, the screen goes grey, and the
system attempts to boot the (old) MacOS installation on the hard drive.

With a little poking around I noticed that a devalias for ide1 does not
exist but one does exist for ata1; on a whim I tried the same as above
substituting ata1 for ide1; this just resulted in a "can't OPEN" message.

An attempt to dir the above (ide1/@0,0,\) results in a "can't OPEN the DIR
device" message

I'm sure I'm hitting something pretty simple, but I'm stuck. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. Please reply directly as I am not (yet) on
the list.

Thanks!

dp