Subject: Re: Installing -current on iBook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Anselm R. Garbe <anselmg@t-online.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/18/2004 17:11:42
On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 02:35:37AM +0000, Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
> I am running 1.6.2_RC4 quite easily on my iBook, and I love it, once you
> get the hang of it, it is not difficult to install, the hardest part is
> the beginning. Unfortunately, the install doc has the information, so I
> could technically say RTFM, but you can easily overlook the process. I
> haven't heard of the current being too much different in the
> installation process, and I am not sure whether you want the hassles or
> not. I like 1.6.1, good for me.

Well, I got NetBSD 1.6.1 installed, thank you for the good advice!
Because I didn't own a Mac OS 9 or OS X installation set anymore, I
tried pdisk again with success (I didn't recognized, that newfs is
capable to handle pdisk-created partitions because my partition schema
looked equivalent to that one I created with disklabel at the first try).
Currently I use the ofwboot.xcf loader from the installation cd, but in
the evening I plan to use hfsutils to format my boot partition and place
the ofwboot.xcf loader there.
Ok, I think I'll hack a short Howto for installing NetBSD without Mac OS
tools as stand-alone OS on a iBook.

Regards,
    Anselm
--
Anselm R. Garbe  <>  GPG fingerprint: 3977 C88E F5F3 97CA 8AD9
 www.ebrag.de    /\    NetBSD/x86      6DD7 74CE 2A7A 0D73 F361