Subject: Problem booting installer on PM 6500
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matthieu Lalonde <smapcop@smurfssociety.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/17/2004 01:47:57
Hello there, I am trying to boot a PowerMac 6500 (OF v 2.0.3) with
NetBSD Build 1.6
I have had many problems. Though I have done this before, I am trying
to think I need some sort of exorcist. I have tried booting of a floppy
I made from Win 98 (since formatting with mac os will result in <1.44mb
free on the disk even if you format with MSDOS or UFS file format) that
included OFWBOOT.XCF from build 1.6 and NETBSD.GZ Kernel from 1.5.3
Build, which I found was lucky for some people on the mailing lists
archive, but with no luck! I have then tried with both files from the
1.6 build, with no luck again. I told myself maybe the floppy image on
the NBSD 1.6 Build would be luckier. So I did:
$ dd if=boot.fs of=/dev/disk2 bs=32k
using Mac OS X (which caused some problems cause the floppy wouldn't
eject by any means afterwards).
No Luck.
I have tried booting of the ISO built CD. No luck (DEFAULT CACHE error)
The luckiest of all was the floppy image which gave me some *READ
TIMEOUT^10* error. As I have seen in the archive some people where
lucky after a couple of tries, best I was able to do was with:
0> boot fd:9
(which I am sure is the wrong partition as the floppy image is written
on partition 0, correct me if I'm wrong)
this got me the *READ TIMEOUT^10* error again, but seamed to have
loaded the OFWBOOT.XCF as It displayed some info about the NetBSD 1.6
firmware boot loader and then displayed
0> boot:
I've tried typing in NETBSD.GZ, netbsd.gz, NETBSD~1.GZ and
netbsd~1.gz... all with no luck.

I was wondering if anyone could point me to some tips to get this
working.
I know it can be done as there is already a NetBSD 1.6 install on the
HD which is a little foobar, well at least the MySQL pkg is, and it's
what matters the most to me. On top of that the machine has lots of
useless pkgs installed and I'd really like to start fresh.
Now I'm starting to think I'd better buy some cheap PC to do this job,
which would announce the retirement of my 6500. I would find this very
sad as I know this machine can serve my purpose perfectly.

In need of an OpenFirmware Exorcist
-Matth