Subject: Re: Window manager for Xmacppc
To: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
From: None <juha.nygard1@netikka.fi>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2004 22:25:54
On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Thomas Miller wrote:

> juha.nygard1@netikka.fi wrote:
>

> > On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Thomas Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > On a Powermac 7300/200 I thought I might try using the
> > > tvtwm window manager as a workaround for Xmacppc's
> > > 640x480 limitation.
> > >
> > > Is there a better workaround than tvtwm (aside from
> > > installing a video card)?
> > >
> > > I am using NetBSD-1.6.  When I run
> > >
> > > # startx
> > >
> > > Xmacppc seems to run just fine using twm.  This is
> > > out-of-the-box without any configuration.  I built
> > > tvtwm from pkgsrc/wm, but I don't know how to tell
> > > Xmacppc to use tvtwm instead of twm.
> > >
> > > # man xmacppc
> > > man: no entry for xmacppc in the manual.
> > > # man Xmacppc
> > > man: no entry for Xmacppc in the manual.
> > > # exit
> > >
> > > How to I tell Xmacppc to use tvtwm?
> > >
> > > Is there Xmacppc documentation?  If yes, where?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Tom
> > >

> > ~/.xinitrc perhaps? Or just replace the twm binary.
> >
> > Juha
> >

> Thanks for your reply.  I had tried both of your suggestions.
>
> Both seem to give the same result: Xmacppc appears to start
> but without xclock and the three xterms which are the defaults.
> Instead, there is a blank screen.  Clicking on the screen brings
> up a menu which does not have an entry for xterm.  The menu is
> red, unlike the default menu, which is green.  The menu says
> TWM at the top, not tvTWM, but I never used tvtwm before, so I
> don't know what to expect or whether the color change is
> significant.
>
> Any other ideas would be appreciated.  Thanks again!
>
> Tom

I set up Xmacppc on NetBSD so that I installed only the server part and
all the libraries were from XFree86. It works well. I start X server with
command 'startx'. You could propably start the X server independently,
wait couple of seconds to let it start and after that start the window
manager. Like this:

export DISPLAY=":0.0"
X&
sleep 3
yourfavouritewindowmanager

I wrote that down from memory so it is possible that it isn't correct. But
you should try that technique.

Juha