Subject: Re: Printer tty device
To: None <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Thomas Miller <tom@insolvencyhelp.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/14/2004 07:52:18
Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com> wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2004, at 4:10 AM, Thomas Miller wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> >> From the NetBSD macppc FAQ:
> >
> > 	On-board RS-422 serial ports (modem port is ttya and
> > 	printer port is ttyb).  On-board Serial support is very
> > 	poor and may cause your system to hang.
>
> Ah.  Minor point of confusion.  When I wrote that, I was thinking in
> terms of Open Firmware, which refers to those devices as ttya and ttyb.
>   NetBSD refers to them as tty00 and tty01.  I'll update the FAQ.
>
>    -- MW

Hi Michael,

Thanks for writing the very helpful FAQ!

Does

# ps aux | grep tty
root 180  0.0  0.5  48   652 ?? S     5:00AM 0:00.11 /usr/libexec/getty std.38400 tty00

mean that tty00 is root's terminal on this machine,
which, in turn, would mean that tty00 could not be
either the printer port or the serial port?

Just to be blindingly clear, are you saying that
the printer port on my 7300/200 running 1.6 is
/dev/tty01 ?

Thanks again!

Tom