Subject: aborting boot in OF
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/12/2004 15:26:49
Hi everybody

On sun hardware, you can break in the firmware console by typing stop-A.
I have been looking about how to do this for a long time on macppc, as
it's really usefull if you installed a kernel that won't boot on a headless
machine.

Here is a solution: On an Xserve, I boot with a fake ISO image dd'ed at
the beginning of the disk (this is not revelant for what we are looking for
here). Here is how I set up the beast:

setenv auto-boot? true
setenv boot-device hd:\OFWBOOT.XCF;1 hd:0
setenv boot-file netbsd
setenv boot-command key? invert if boot then

If you hold any key at startup time, this will abort the bootand you will
get the OF prompt. It works with a serial console, and it should work with
a real keyboard as well.

Nice, isn't it?

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus