Subject: Re: install questions (some of this is OT)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Solomonson <eriks@panix.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/07/2004 23:30:30
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, admin@datazap.net wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install NetBSD 1.5.2 on a G3 Blue & White. I installed it
> on a scsi hard drive (it would not see the ide drive), and it look like
> all was well until I tried to boot from the hard drive. It will not boot.
> I don't think that I was able to find the locate of the drive I did the
> install to. It just doesn't seem to be there. I read the howto, but it
> didn't help. What am I missing?
I had the same problem..kinda (a post is coming on this topic when I get
everything ready)  on NetBSD 1.6.1 and 1.6z on a g3 300mhz iBook.
Openfirmware can not read the NetBSD partitions on the disk, so no
booting.  An HFS partition is needed for the kernel and ofwboot.xcf.

I think the type of kernel on the partition depends on your Openfirmware
version (I have 3).  Do you know which version you have?

> Worst than that it doesn't seem to like Mac OS 10.0.3 either. Mac OS
> crashes all the time. I tried 9.2 and the same thing, but it will run
> NetBSD from the install CD for days at a time, and I had it do a bunch of
> things.  So, I don't think I have a hardware problem.

Since you couldn't find the IDE HDD with NetBSD, did you try to install on
the SCSI drive with OSX and OS9?  Perhaps your IDE HDD is crashing.

> Also, I tried to install yellow dog linux. This didn't work because yaboot
> returns an error when I try to boot from the cd. This is the error that I
> get.
>
> /pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@5/ata-3@20000/disk@0:2,yaboot.conf
> Can't open config file.
>
> I can how ever make the system boot from the yaboot prompt by typing
> /pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000/disk@0:0,[the location of a kernel]
>
> But ofcourse it has a kernel panic as soon as it looks for a root
> partition, because there isn't one. I am trying to do an install.
>
> I am wondering if I don't have a problem with the open firmware, but I am
> not sure how to test this.

I have never tried YDL...do you need to make Linux partitions from the
tools (I forget its name, sorry) on the OS9 or OSx install CD before
installing?

Good luck.