Subject: install questions (some of this is OT)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: admin@datazap.net <admin@datazap.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 01/07/2004 22:33:11
Hi,

I am trying to install NetBSD 1.5.2 on a G3 Blue & White. I installed it
on a scsi hard drive (it would not see the ide drive), and it look like
all was well until I tried to boot from the hard drive. It will not boot.
I don't think that I was able to find the locate of the drive I did the
install to. It just doesn't seem to be there. I read the howto, but it
didn't help. What am I missing?

Worst than that it doesn't seem to like Mac OS 10.0.3 either. Mac OS
crashes all the time. I tried 9.2 and the same thing, but it will run
NetBSD from the install CD for days at a time, and I had it do a bunch of
things.  So, I don't think I have a hardware problem.

Also, I tried to install yellow dog linux. This didn't work because yaboot
returns an error when I try to boot from the cd. This is the error that I
get.

/pci@80000000/pci-bridge@d/mac-io@5/ata-3@20000/disk@0:2,yaboot.conf
Can't open config file.

I can how ever make the system boot from the yaboot prompt by typing
/pci/@d/mac-io/ata-3@2000/disk@0:0,[the location of a kernel]

But ofcourse it has a kernel panic as soon as it looks for a root
partition, because there isn't one. I am trying to do an install.

I am wondering if I don't have a problem with the open firmware, but I am
not sure how to test this.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Al