Subject: Getting PowerMacintosh 5500/225 to run NetBSD 1.6.1
To: NetBSD port-macppc <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Paavo Hartikainen <pahartik@sci.fi>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/12/2003 03:17:58
After lots of effort I have given up trying to boot NetBSD installer
on my PowerMacintosh 5500.  Floppy booting almost worked, but I guess
OpenFirmware floppy device driver is not good enough on this model.

Linux worked, booting directly through OpenFirmware and yaboot... But
I had too many problems with device drivers and wanted to try if
NetBSD would support my devices better.  (Tulip on CommSlot 2 cannot
keep proper transceiver settings, Advansys SCSI hangs after some
activity, SMC EPIC hangs on ifconfig, IEEE-1394 hangs easily during
activity...)

I would like to try installing minimal NetBSD system to external SCSI
harddisk with my Alpha workstation running Linux.  If I get that
system booted on PowerPC workstation, it should be easy enough to
duplicate it to another disk and install rest of usual NetBSD system.

Some questions:

  How to partition the disk? (I can use "parted" on Linux)

  Where should I put "ofwboot" code?

  What else do I need to know?

It would probably help if I could even get NetBSD kernel to run from
that external harddisk, so I would see that it actually boots.  I am
currently running NetBSD on old SPARCs and their OpenFirmware has been
much easier than on this model of PowerMacintosh.

--
 "pienena   /  Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
  minusta  /  E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi