Subject: Re: ofwboot.xcf issues
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@NetBSD.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 12/04/2003 15:30:36
--98e8jtXdkpgskNou

On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 12:23:17PM +1100, Luke Mewburn wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 04:38:50PM -0800, Bill Studenmund wrote:
>   | > Of course, if possible we actually want to move away from the "bbin=
fo"
>   | > style bootblock to one where bootxx knows how to read the file syst=
em
>   | > to find /boot, so this approach wouldn't work for that goal.
>   |=20
>   | I'm not really sure how much space we have/don't have. So I don't kno=
w if=20
>   | a bootxx_fs approach would work. It'd be nice if we could make it wor=
k.
>=20
> Weird;  the alpha and PMAX both have "large" binaries due to their
> instruction set, and we manage to fit the "smart" first stage bootloader
> into 7.5KB on those platforms.  I wonder what the issue on macppc is.

Thinking about it, I think we have 6.5K available, as we have to put more=
=20
stuff in the front of the disk (a fake Apple Partition map, which will=20
need 3 blocks).

Also, I think the last time this code was overhauled, we hadn't come up=20
with bootxx_fs yet. :-)

Take care,

Bill

--98e8jtXdkpgskNou