Subject: ofwboot.xcf problems with imac
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 11/19/2003 13:33:38
So, I just finished installing 1.6.1 onto a rev. A bondi iMac. Booting
the install CD was no problem (boot cd:,\ofwboot.xcf netbsd.macppc) and
I ftp'd down pdisk to make sure I was certain which partition numbers
to use; here is the result:

6:	HFS (with ofwboot.xcf on it) 100 M
7:	A/UX Root 3.6 G
8:	A/UX Swap 96 M

When I do a 'dir hd:6,\' in open firmware, I see the contents of the
HFS partition. When I do 'boot hd:6,\ofwboot.xcf hd:7,\netbsd' I can
launch ofwboot.xcf, and it seems to run fine, but it complains that it
can't find the kernel, and gives me a new boot prompt.

I've booted off the install CD a number of times to verify that the
kernel is there, and used pdisk to make sure it's on the right
partition.

The error I get is:

boot hd:6,\ofwboot.xcf hd:7,\netbsd

... normal output ...

 >> NetBSD bootloader stuff...
 >> autobuild@netbsd  stuff...
Boot: hd:7,\netbsd
open hd:7,\netbsd: No such file or directory

Obviously I can't dir an A/UX parition-- how can I figure out why it's
failing? I had NetBSD 1.5.3 installed on this iMac for awhile, and I
remember booting using exactly the same syntax before. I tried using
ofwboot.xcf from 1.6 and 1.5.3 also, and neither of those did the trick
either.

If I'm doing something ridiculous or forgetting something, please
enlighten me. I can post more information on request.

Thanks,

-- Erik