Subject: Re: OF Problem With Numerical Keyboard
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@uol.com.br>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/19/2003 21:32:40
On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 11:53  AM, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> Yes, it's a portuguese layout keyboard and some keys doesn't
> correspond with
> the label printed on it.
>
> That's OK, but the numbers is on the same positions on all western
> layout
> keyboards, I think. And I remember some months ago that was possible
> to do
> what I'm trying with this keyboard. The main problem is I can't input
> numbers
> or even 'minus' signal to change input-device and output-device to
> ttyb and
> do serial console.

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  MacOS may understand the Portuguese layout and
know what keys you've pressed and use the correct character, but Open
Firmware is more primitive.  My guess was that the Portuguese ADB
keyboard uses different mappings for the number keys.

But if you have MacOS running on your system, then you should be using
System Disk.  And System Disk can set your input-device and
output-device.

> I was thinking today because I removed mouse and keyboard and attached
> it
> again when the machine was on. Are there hardware problems (damage)
> doing
> this?

Small possibility of a damage (I've never heard of it, but Apple warns
against it).  Your problems sound unrelated to the sort of problems
that would arise from damaging the ADB chipset.

Good luck,
   -- MW