Subject: Re: ibook hardware support
To: Jaka Jejcic <keks@kibla.org>
From: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/12/2003 23:48:40
On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 10:52:17PM +0200, Jaka Jejcic wrote:

> Modem would be nice but audio is a must. Power management I don't really miss,
> although hybernation (is this part of the power management?) is also a
> definite must.
>
> How far am I?
>
> Let's say audio driver can be more or less easily ported from Darwin, but
> does anyone have a working hybernation on their iBook?

The audio stuff depends on what type of iBook you have.  AFAIK there were at
least two distinct (DACA and Tumbler) mixers used on the iBooks.  I believe
all Apple hardware uses very simple DBDMA transfers to play and record music..
but the real trick is in getting the mixer to output to the proper location.

Power managment is, AFAIK, completely unsupported.

Can you go through the archives, and grab the source for 'ofdump', and post
(or send me) the output of of 'ofdump -p'?

The big problem, aside from the general expense of a lot of the hardware,
is that not many people are hacking away at this stuff on NetBSD.  A whole
lot of what you're looking for is already supported by Linux (either
natively, or through stuff like ALSA or MkLinux) and Darwin.  So the code,
and some reasonable documentation, is already out there.

By all means, dig in! :)

- alex