Subject: Re: i386 Terminal doing Serial Console
To: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@uol.com.br>
From: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/11/2003 08:57:35
On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:01:34AM +0000, Daniel Bolgheroni wrote:

> That's the problem. I live in a little, little city, and yes, there are some
> local stores here. But these stores are i386-only sellers and these guys
> don't even know what I'm looking for, nor BSD. I'm buying from Mercado Livre,
> a eBay affiliated located in Brazil.

The other thing, I suppose, would be to find some sort of DB9 <-> DIN9 adapter.
I had an old external Hayes 2400bps modem that had such an adapter (both of which
are long gone unfortunately).  If you can mail order from the US or Canada, you
could probably find such a thing and ship it cheaper than you could a big cable.

It's too bad there's no way to use that onboard ethernet or SCSI for a console.

Of course if you already have a cable that plugs into the Mac, and a cable that
plugs into your PC... you could just hobble together a proper cable.  This would
be the cheapest route for sure.

- alex