Subject: Re: i386 Terminal doing Serial Console
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Daniel Bolgheroni <dbolgheroni@uol.com.br>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/10/2003 15:34:21
On Friday 10 October 2003 09:10, der Mouse wrote:
> It's not clear whether you are talking about a machine using its
> parallel port as its console or a machine using its parallel port
> rather than its serial port to talk to another machine's serial-line
> console.

The configuration is a i386 machine as serial console terminal using the
parallel port, and a macppc machine I want to connect to, using the mini-DIN
8 modem line.

> The latter is, maybe, doable in theory, but it's a stretch; at the very
> least you will need level shifters (parallel ports use logic signal
> levels; serial ports use RS232 signal levels), and you will probably
> need more - a rudimentary UART, in essence, and while in principle it
> could be done in software I suspect you would find it effectively
> impossible to get the timing as precise as it needs to be for usably
> fast baud rates.

It seems to be hard. Also, as I wrote in one of last messages, I found a
serial/mini-DIN 8 cable, used to connect to a professional sound card. Maybe
it should work.

I'll buy this one and give a try.

Thank you for helping.