Subject: Re: Booting an iMac after installing 1.6Z
To: NetBSD (MacPPC) <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan La Riviere <larz@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2003 14:43:37
On 10/7/03 2:05 PM, "Russell McManus" <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com> wrote:

> larz@cbis.ece.drexel.edu (Ryan La Riviere) writes:
>
>>> can't help much with your 1.0.5 box. sorry.
>>
>> Going back and installing my previous 1.6.1 CD I have allowed it to boot
>> fine (the older one I have seems to be somehow different than the currently
>> posted 1.6.1 CD).  The older 1.6.1 I have seems to have been built on Apr 8
>> at 15:07:52 UTC 2003
>
> I have also had problems booting -current kernels on my OFW 1.0.5
> boxes.  These boxes work fine with 1.6.x series.

Um...I tried something that didn't work so well.  I had 1.6.1 installed on
my OFW 1.0.5 box (using the older 1.6.1 CD I have) and thought it would be a
good idea to try upgrading 1.6Z over top of my 1.6.1 install.  Bad idea.  I
had chosen to do the "upgrade" option.  I had figured it would let me
install from ftp.  Not so.  It just went in and started using what was on
the CD.  Well, I couldn't have that happen so I stopped it.  When I got to
the prompt, I found that just about everything had been moved to /etc.old.
Fine.  I can deal with that...except that / is mounted as read-only and
making it read/write requires /etc/fstab to be in /etc.  This is going to be
fun.

So I guess, the lesson learned...don't interrupt the upgrade process.

Back to messing it up (and trying other alternatives for upgrading to 1.6Z).

-Ryan

--

Ryan La Riviere
http://staff.tdec.drexel.edu/~edljedi