Subject: Re: Booting an iMac after installing 1.6Z
To: NetBSD (MacPPC) <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Ryan La Riviere <larz@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2003 13:13:20
On 10/7/03 12:28 PM, "Matthew A Kolb" <muk@msu.edu> wrote:

> Ryan La Riviere writes:
>
>> I've installed 1.6.1 on a 333MHz Green iMac.
>
>> Anyway, back to the main problem.  I can't seem to be able to get it to boot
>> from the internal HD after successfully installing 1.6.1 (or 1.6Z).
>>
>> Settings and other info:
>> Partitioned with:
>>   /      32MB
>>   swap   512MB
>>   /usr   5550MB
>>   /dos   55MB (dos formatted)
>>
>> Installed via cd
>>
>> Open Firmware version 3.0.f3
>>
>> devalias of hd = /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/disk@0
>> devalias of cd = /pci/mac-io/ide@21000/disk@0
>>
>> I've tried:
>>   boot hd:
>>     MAC-PARTS: can't find a default partition   can't OPEN: hd:
>>   boot hd:x  (x = 0-10)
>>     DISK-LABEL: LOAD (noninterposed) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1
>> LOAD SIZE is too small
>

> did you put ofwboot.xcf on the /dos partition? you need to point to that.
> open firmware 3 machines need to have the ofwboot on either hfs, hfs+,
> msdos, or ethernet (according to the install doc).
>
> i have my ofwboot.xcf on an hfs partition, and i boot like this:
> boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:10,/netbsd (to point to the netbsd kernel on my
> netbsd's root partition).

I was trying to figure out how to get the ofwboot.xcf onto another partition
but I couldn't figure out how.  What method did you use to get the hfs
partition set up?

>> On a related note, I had a 2002 build of 1.6 something installed on the
>> 7600.  All was fine.  I decided to redo it with the latest release build of
>> 1.6Z (and subsequently 1.6.1 for testing).  I had not changed anything in
>> the OF between the previous install and the new install other than to type
>> into OF to boot from CD for the one time.  After the install, I'm having the
>> similar problem as with the iMac.  I get:
>> OF_open bootpath=scsi-int/sd@0
>> ...some initial boot stuff...
>> No active package4588252+250600 [229552+193781DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00400
>>
>> Open Firmware, 1.0.5
>>
>> I'm guessing that the ofwboot is not getting loaded into the boot blocks
>> properly or something.
>>

> can't help much with your 1.0.5 box. sorry.

Going back and installing my previous 1.6.1 CD I have allowed it to boot
fine (the older one I have seems to be somehow different than the currently
posted 1.6.1 CD).  The older 1.6.1 I have seems to have been built on Apr 8
at 15:07:52 UTC 2003

-Ryan

--
Mr. Ryan La Riviere