Subject: Re: Booting an iMac after installing 1.6Z
To: Ryan La Riviere <larz@cbis.ece.drexel.edu>
From: Matthew A Kolb <muk@msu.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/07/2003 12:28:18
Ryan La Riviere writes:

> I've installed 1.6.1 on a 333MHz Green iMac.

> Anyway, back to the main problem.  I can't seem to be able to get it to boot
> from the internal HD after successfully installing 1.6.1 (or 1.6Z).
>
> Settings and other info:
> Partitioned with:
>   /      32MB
>   swap   512MB
>   /usr   5550MB
>   /dos   55MB (dos formatted)
>
> Installed via cd
>
> Open Firmware version 3.0.f3
>
> devalias of hd = /pci/mac-io/ide@20000/disk@0
> devalias of cd = /pci/mac-io/ide@21000/disk@0
>
> I've tried:
>   boot hd:
>     MAC-PARTS: can't find a default partition   can't OPEN: hd:
>   boot hd:x  (x = 0-10)
>     DISK-LABEL: LOAD (noninterposed) not supportedload-size=0 adler32=1
> LOAD SIZE is too small

did you put ofwboot.xcf on the /dos partition? you need to point to that.
open firmware 3 machines need to have the ofwboot on either hfs, hfs+,
msdos, or ethernet (according to the install doc).

i have my ofwboot.xcf on an hfs partition, and i boot like this:
boot hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:10,/netbsd (to point to the netbsd kernel on my
netbsd's root partition).

> On a related note, I had a 2002 build of 1.6 something installed on the
> 7600.  All was fine.  I decided to redo it with the latest release build of
> 1.6Z (and subsequently 1.6.1 for testing).  I had not changed anything in
> the OF between the previous install and the new install other than to type
> into OF to boot from CD for the one time.  After the install, I'm having the
> similar problem as with the iMac.  I get:
> OF_open bootpath=scsi-int/sd@0
> ...some initial boot stuff...
> No active package4588252+250600 [229552+193781DEFAULT CATCH!, code=FFF00400
>
> Open Firmware, 1.0.5
>
> I'm guessing that the ofwboot is not getting loaded into the boot blocks
> properly or something.

can't help much with your 1.0.5 box. sorry.

./muk

--
m. kolb  <muk@msu.edu>