Subject: Re: Dual Boot on recent bi-G4
To: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/01/2003 09:54:13
On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 04:18  AM, Xavier HUMBERT wrote:

> But I'm asking if there's a "clean" way (ie, I can repeat once a day,
> without resetting OF all the time) ?

Absolutely.  As Alex said, for Open Firmware 3 systems, no Open
Firmware variables need to be set or changed to dual boot.  The
-current INSTALL notes are much cleaner (even for installing 1.6.1) and
cover suggestions on how to set up Open Firmware to dual boot easily.
These doc changes are in the queue to be pulled up to 1.6.2.

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 05:26  AM, Daniel Eggert wrote:

> OF 3 machines have the ability to change boot disk (or even partition)
> by holdign down the option- (or alt-) key during start up. Does NetBSD
> support this? If not, what is lacking?

No, it would need some magic.  Most of that magic is detailed in the
snag-key boot CD creation HOW-TO:

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html

It's also in src/distrib/cdrom.

Of course, sysinst also really needs a macppc person to fix it to
reduce the number of manual steps involved in installing onto an Open
Firmware 3 system.

Have fun,
   -- MW