Subject: Re: Dual Boot on recent bi-G4
To: Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>
From: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 10/01/2003 09:12:02
Quoting Xavier HUMBERT <xavier.humbert@xavhome.fr.eu.org>:

> Yes, I know this is almost a FAQ, and I read all previous postings about
> it, which can be summarized : 1/ depends on OF version 2/I'm about to
> try it
>
> Well, I just bought a dual G4/1.25 (not yet delivered, thanks to G5
> delay). Having a dedicated disk is not a problem, it's rather cheap,
> these days.
>
> But I'm asking if there's a "clean" way (ie, I can repeat once a day,
> without resetting OF all the time) ?

First, I believe that only OF 3 doesn't need system disk to patch it.  So MacOS
won't reset that.  Second, you don't need to set the load and real base values
with OF 3 (in fact you will damage the machine if you do), so MacOS won't be
resetting that.  Indeed you could probably just boot into the OF console and
choose whatever OS you wanted with no other hassle.  If you leave auto-boot?
set to true, you can just hold down Cmd-Opt-O-F to get into the OF console
whenever you want to boot into NetBSD.

Indeed the most difficult thing I would be concerned with is whether or not OSX
keeps the clock set to UTC time or to a local timezone.

- alex