Subject: Re: Recent macppc kernels hang under load
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/29/2003 23:52:56
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 05:10:39PM -0700, Chuck Silvers wrote:
> well, I tried a bunch of tests this this afternoon and I couldn't get
> anything to fail with SIGILLs or anything like that.  could you guys
> give some more details on exactly what goes wrong and what the machine
> is doing when it happens?

I'm out of town for the week, so I can't actually try anything... this
is from memory, but it should be accurate :)

I have a G4 dual 500MHz, IDE disk with a single UFS partition for
NetBSD mounted on / (and an HFS+ one for OS X too). /usr/src mounted
over UDP NFS, 100BaseTX, gem ethernet driver. /usr/src.local union
mounted on top of /usr/src.

cd /usr/src.local && ./build.sh -u -T /usr/tools -j3 -D /usr/dest distribution >& build.log &

will build nbmake, then the machine locks up while doing the "make
obj" portion of the build. It doesn't always hang in the same place,
but it usually hangs within about 5 minutes or so.

I haven't tried without the union mount, or without NFS... I should do
that when I get back home.
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 27 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++