Subject: Re: PCMCIA slot on a PowerMac G4?
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl+usenet-2003-05@emsi.priv.at>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 09/24/2003 16:43:49
At 10:53 PM +0000 9/24/03, Martin J. Laubach wrote:
>| > Upon recieving the motherboard (digital audio) I noticed what
>| > appears to be a pcmcia slot.  This is supposed to be where the
>|
>|  It is not a standard PCMCIA slot, it is tailored for the Airport.
>
>   On the other hand, I ventured plugging in a Lucent card in that
>slot and it was recognized by MacOS (it showed up in that hardware-
>listing Application).
>
>   No idea whether it would have worked, I had no access point at
>the time.
>
>	mjl

Everyone seems real sure that it's not a standard PCMCIA slot.  I'm
not an expert so I can't disagree, but. . .

I've also heard that (at least the early) base stations used a
standard PCMCIA card as the guts and you could disassemble one, take
the card out, and put it in an iBook or whatever.  I thought the only
difference between an airport card and a standard PCMCIA card was the
lack of a built-on antenna because the antenna was built into the
case of the machine you were putting the card into.