Subject: Booting 1.6.1 ISO on a Beige G3
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Zepeda <zipzippy@sonic.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/20/2003 12:38:47
Looking through the archives, someone had a nearly identical problem with
1.6.  Just sold the Quadra, and took possesion of a new Mac.  Oh boy, I
think it's a disease or something ;-)

It's a Beige G3, OF 2.0f1, OS 8.6, 32MB RAM, 6GB IDE HDD.  I divided up
the hard drive with Disk Setup 1.7.3 (since the nice version that supports
A/UX partitions is an OS 9 tool), and used pdisk to create the A/UX swap
and root partitions.

My goal is to install NetBSD in that one partition, ideally by booting off
of the CD-ROM, and then creating another boot CD for the future.

So far:

- Won't boot from the 1.6.1 ISO (from iso.netbsd.org)
- Won't boot from the 1.6.1 floppy (Disk Copy didn't recognize
	boot2.flp despite all that drag and drop magic with that program that's
	supposed to reset the file type)
- It will boot from the 1.6 floppy just fine (on the second try of course)
- MacOS will read the 1.6.1 CD-ROM just fine
- Startup Disk control panel will let me set the puter to boot from the
	1.6.1 CD-ROM
- sysinst will recognize that there are HFS, HFS+, and BSD 4.2 partitions,
	but it will assume that the BSD 4.2 partition is 6GB instead of 3GB.

The command:

boot /pci/mac-io/ide@21000/disk@0:0, NETBSD.MACPPC

yields a 'cannot open' error.  The command:

boot ide1 (which is an alias for /pci/mac-io/ide@21000) yields a default
catch error.

I also noticed that there are no files named 'netbsd.macppc' on the disk
(at least that MacOS can see, netbsd.macppc.gz does exist a few
directories down tho).  OTOH< ofwboot.xcf is indeed in the root directory.

- alex