Subject: Re: XF86Config for iMac (Slot-loading) running 1.6.1?
To: Wilyarti Howard <wilyarti.howard@bigpond.com>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/12/2003 10:11:09
>Ok lets get this strait: What is in your /usr/X11R6/bin dir?
>Do you have an Xmacppc binary? What are you using to start XFree86?
>Does Xmacppc not work?

Hi Wilyarti,
For NetBSD ports that use video with no text-mode (no VGA
compatibility), XFree never supported them until fairly recently.
Because of this, NetBSD had separate XServers. The ones that I use
are for mac68k, DEC alpha, and MacPPC...while current Mac use
off-the-shelf VGA cards, built-in-video on older models was
graphics-only framebuffer. These X Servers are *not* XFree86, so your
XMacppc isn't XFree at all. They're the "xc" source. Now XFree has
seen some error in its i386-only ways and has added support for these
framebuffers. Because of this (and to simplify life), NetBSD has
elected to start using XFree on all systems that it'll work on.

So no, he doesn't have Xmacppc. He has XFree86. Both would be
symbolically linked to be called as "X". I have (3) on my alpha right
now...

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  9851286 Feb  5  2003 /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  2984424 Jul 28  2002 /usr/X11R6/bin/XalphaNetBSD
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3053288 Mar 17 15:12 /usr/X11R6/bin/XdecNetBSD

I had tried building XFree, but it didn't work well with my TGA card.
NetBSD changed what they called the non-XFree X Server for port-alpha
from XAlphaNetBSD to XDecNetBSD, presumably because the code is
shared between alpha and other DEC systems (just a guess on my
part...could also just be so it doesn't sound like an alpha/beta
release).

Hope this clears up some confusion,
Mike
--