Subject: Re: macppc kernel make -j4 fail
To: None <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/09/2003 17:42:39
On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 05:25:33PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
> Hum, build fails later with
> making sure the compat library is up to date...
> `libcompat.a' is up to date.
> making sure the kern library is up to date...
> building standard kern library
> bzero.o: In function `memset':
> bzero.o(.text+0x8): multiple definition of `memset'
> memset.o(.text+0x0): first defined here
> *** Error code 1
>
> Maybe bzero.S shound't be there at all

It shouldn't, bzero.S is commented out in
sys/lib/libkern/arch/powerpc/Makefile.inc

The problem seems to be that sys/lib/libkern/arch/powerpc/Makefile.inc adds
bzero.c to SRCS. This adds bzero.S to OBJS, and some rules makes the
build use bzero.S instead of bzero.c.
I removed bzero.c in libkern/arch/powerpc/Makefile.inc and the kernel
builds, so I wonder if bzero.c is needed at all. I guess we want it for
LKM compatibility.

The only other port using the MI memset.c to build a bzero symbol is
hppa. It uses special rule in its Makefile.inc instead of using the
MI bzero.c