Subject: Re: Dual boot
To: Francis Maier <Fran.Maier@archden.org>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2003 14:44:41
At 2:04 PM -0600 7/25/03, Francis Maier wrote:
>I've read the docs and I'm still confused, so please bear with me.
>
>I'm running a beige G3, OpenFirmware 2.4.  Am I understanding it
>correctly that I can't run MacOS 9 and/or X on the same hard drive from
>different partitions as NetBSD?

Prior to OF 3 that is true for the current standard NetBSD tools.
OF3 understands the Apple Partition Map and can read the boot program
directly.  The boot setup we use of OF1-2 only works with a NetBSD
partition map.

That said, there has been a lot of thought about other ways it could
be done.  Try searching the archives for MBR partitioning, since that
shows some promise of working across all OF versions, and it will
pick up Bill Studenmund's 9/23/02 post on alternatives.  Post again
if you feel like playing around with it.