Subject: Re: Adaptec 2930 and 2940 Cards
To: Henry Watterson <CitrusFive@earthlink.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/25/2003 14:31:45
At 1:59 PM -0400 7/24/03, Henry Watterson wrote:
>Perhaps *I* was the confused one. The "footnote" for the PowerCenter
>Pro says "Can't boot from Adaptec UltraSCSI card (it doesn't support
>Open Firmware)" - I have two PowerCenter Pros and each came with a
>different OEM Adaptec SCSI card. The FAQ also mentions a 2940
>incompatibility, and links to this post.
>
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2001/04/27/0000.html
>
>The wording of the post is unclear, but upon rereading it, it may be
>suggesting that there's no problem with 2940s with the non-AV(?)
>firmware 4.1 (which is what I have). At any rate, I apologize for my
>post if I read it wrong, although I believe the documentation is
>unclear at best. I also made the mistake of referring to the 2940s
>as "unsupported" - where in reality it's just booting from them
>which was ever unsupported. Both the 2940 and the 2930 identify
>themselves and the drives connected to them once the kernel is
>loaded.

AV means 7500/8500, which means OF 1.0.5 really.  Non-AV means beige
G3, which means OF 2.0.x really.  There is some functionality missing
from the AV version in exchange for working around more OF bugs and
getting booting to work.  The missing functionality is strictly
inside-OF stuff and has no effect on the operation of the NetBSD
driver for the card.

That's my memory of that thread.