Subject: Re: Adaptec 2930 and 2940 Cards
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Watterson <CitrusFive@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/24/2003 13:59:31
Hello.

Perhaps *I* was the confused one. The "footnote" for the PowerCenter
Pro says "Can't boot from Adaptec UltraSCSI card (it doesn't support
Open Firmware)" - I have two PowerCenter Pros and each came with a
different OEM Adaptec SCSI card. The FAQ also mentions a 2940
incompatibility, and links to this post.

http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-macppc/2001/04/27/0000.html

The wording of the post is unclear, but upon rereading it, it may be
suggesting that there's no problem with 2940s with the non-AV(?)
firmware 4.1 (which is what I have). At any rate, I apologize for my
post if I read it wrong, although I believe the documentation is
unclear at best. I also made the mistake of referring to the 2940s as
"unsupported" - where in reality it's just booting from them which was
ever unsupported. Both the 2940 and the 2930 identify themselves and
the drives connected to them once the kernel is loaded.

Shorah to all,

Henry