Subject: Re: First Boot Problems Mac PowerPC Clone
To: Paul Gogarty <p.gogarty@mail.com>
From: Daniel Eggert <danieleggert@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/23/2003 14:11:01
Hi Paul,

Most of what you do seems ok

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 01:31PM, Paul Gogarty <p.gogarty@mail.com> wrote:

<snip>

>I have not modified the boot-command as the hard disk appears to be spinning
>up fine.

Make sense.

>I am also currently running with "auto-boot?" set to false and using the OF
>command "boot" with no parameters to boot the system.

No need to worry about that.

<snip>

>I am using the default partitioning scheme for NetBSD with X11 and am
>performing a full install (as an aside it would be appreciated if someone
>could give me some pointers on how to set up the system to use the 4GB drive
>as my root partition and the 512MD drive as my swap partition).
>
>It may also be of help/interest to note that although the installation
>appears to install all the packages correctly when I get to the last step
>(the system tries to configure "/etc/rc.conf" sysinst reports that the file
>system is full and bombs, dropping me out to the command prompt. This
>happens every time I try to build the system and in the end I have assumed
>that I would receive the "/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot
>aborted." message upon first boot and have to configure "/etc/rc.conf"
>manually.

I'm not at all sure, but what I suspect is that the problem is with your partitioning scheme. A 'quick and dirty' solution would be to use the entire 4GB drive as root partition and _not_ create any other partitions. Then use the 512MB drive for swap. This way everything should fit onto the drive and you shouldn't get any 'file system is full' problems. If this resolves the problem you might want a second installation with a seperate /usr partition if you want...

The thing about '/etc/rc.conf not configured' is normal... it's just the way the NetBSD installer handles things. Oppinions differ on wether this is 'good' or not. ;)

I hope this helps a bit.

Daniel