Subject: First Boot Problems Mac PowerPC Clone
To: , <port-macppc@NetBSD.org>
From: Paul Gogarty <p.gogarty@mail.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/23/2003 12:31:36

------=_NextPart_000_007E_01C35116.5B8E03F0

Hi
 Help with this problem would be most appreciated.

I am trying to install NetBSD 1.6.1 on a Computer Warehouse - Stanford (a
Mac PowerPC Clone - Computer Warehouse are a British company and as far as I
can tell whilst rare in Britain their Mac Clones are almost unheard of
elsewhere).
I respect that this system is not listed in the compatible hardware listings
but hope that if I can get it running the it could be added.

The install seems to be successful but upon first boot the system has an
error (whilst trying to mount the HDD - I think) and drops me into a
debugger (see section marked "3. First Boot" for more details)

*************
1. System Setup
*************
The specific setup of this system is:
Motorola 603e PPC processor @ 240 MHz
48MB 60 nano second RAM
generic SIS 900 NIC ( X 2)
4GB IDE HDD (OF device location /bandit/ohare@10/ata@200000/ata-disk@0,0)*
512MB IDE HDD (OF device location /bandit/ohare@10/ata@210000/ata-disk@0,0)*
Standard Mac Floppy
NO CD-ROM
NO SCSI Devices (but I do have a SCSI controller built into the motherboard)

*NOTE: the two IDE drives are on separate IDE controllers

This machine is running OF version 2.0.2
I have modified the following OF variables
boot-device   ata/ata-disk@0:0
boot-file        netbsd
load-base      600000
real-base       F00000

NOTE: ata is an alias for /bandit/ohare@10/ata@200000

I have not modified the boot-command as the hard disk appears to be spinning
up fine.
I am also currently running with "auto-boot?" set to false and using the OF
command "boot" with no parameters to boot the system.

*****************
2. NetBSD Installation
*****************
The NetBSD installation method I am using is an ftp install from the
ftp.plig.org UK mirror (AKA ftp.uk.netbsd.org)
I am initially booting the system for installation using netbsd install
floppies (not M$Dos floppies)

I am using the default partitioning scheme for NetBSD with X11 and am
performing a full install (as an aside it would be appreciated if someone
could give me some pointers on how to set up the system to use the 4GB drive
as my root partition and the 512MD drive as my swap partition).

It may also be of help/interest to note that although the installation
appears to install all the packages correctly when I get to the last step
(the system tries to configure "/etc/rc.conf" sysinst reports that the file
system is full and bombs, dropping me out to the command prompt. This
happens every time I try to build the system and in the end I have assumed
that I would receive the "/etc/rc.conf is not configured. Multiuser boot
aborted." message upon first boot and have to configure "/etc/rc.conf"
manually.

**********
3. First Boot
**********
When I boot the system  everything seems to run fine for a short while.
The system sees both HHDs and identifies them correctly
The system investigates the SCSI bus and correctly finds no devices

The I assume the system tries to mount the primary HDD.
The system displays the following screen prompt:

root file system type: ffs

And then drops me into a debugger. The debugger reports the following:

First bad, reclen=6400, DIRSIZ=36, namlen=24, flags=5001
entryoffsetinblock=0
/: bad dir ino 44 at offset 0: mangled entry
panic: bad dir
Stopped in pid 1 (init) at     cpu_Debugger+0x10:    1wz    r0, r1, 0x14

And I am left with a debugger prompt "db>"
Typing help at this prompt gives me a list of available commands - including
continue.
Using continue causes the system to synchronise the disks and then reset (or
so the screen prompt leads me to believe and my system does reboot).

**************
Please if anyone could help it would be most appreciated.
It seems a shame to waste this piece of hardware and I will never run system
7 again.
I would like to run this system as a router/firewall and therefore would
prefer not to have to run Linux or BeOS as I have concerns about the level
of security I can achieve with either of these platforms (no other BSD
solution seems to support MacPPC hardware this old).

    Paul Gogarty
    mailto:p.gogarty@mail.com

------=_NextPart_000_007E_01C35116.5B8E03F0
	filename="Paul Gogarty.vcf"

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Gogarty;Paul;James;Mr
FN:Paul Gogarty
ORG:X-Tek Industrial Ltd. (formerly OIS Engineering Ltd.);Software
TITLE:Programmer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+44 (0)1493 600677
TEL;HOME;VOICE:+44 (0)1603 461014
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+44 (0) 7879 458416
TEL;WORK;FAX:+44 (0)1493 603347
ADR;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:;Great Yarmouth;Grist =
Mill=3D0D=3D0ACrittens Road=3D0D=3D0ACobholm;Great Yarmouth;No=3D
rfolk;NR731 0AG;UK
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:Great Yarmouth=3D0D=3D0AGrist =
Mill=3D0D=3D0ACrittens Road=3D0D=3D0ACobholm=3D0D=3D0AGreat Ya=3D
rmouth, Norfolk NR731 0AG=3D0D=3D0AUK
ADR;HOME:;;34 Wymer Street;Norwich;Norfolk;NR2 4BJ;UK
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=3DQUOTED-PRINTABLE:34 Wymer Street=3D0D=3D0ANorwich, =
Norfolk NR2 4BJ=3D0D=3D0AUK
URL;HOME:http://www.paul.gogarty.btinternet.co.uk/
URL;WORK:http://www.xtekxray.com/
BDAY:19790624