Subject: Adaptec 2930 and 2940 Cards
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Watterson <CitrusFive@earthlink.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/2003 21:24:54
Hello.

THE ADAPTEC 2940UW CARD BOOTS UNDER OPEN FIRMWARE!

I have recently successfully conquered OpenFirmware 1.0.5 on my
PowerCenter Pro 210 and gotten NetBSD to boot for me. :) I was dismayed
when I learned that the 2940 cards were very obviously unsupported,
though slightly relieved that the 2930 cards were supported (and even
used as an example in the install notes). Upon inserting the 2930 into
my system and connecting my devices, however, I was surprised that they
seemed inaccessible at the OF prompt - there were no "words" for that
device, and no "sd@0" or "disk@0" type things showed up underneath it.
So I swapped my 2940UW card back in, and just for fun connected it to
see how it would behave in OF. Amazingly, it was fine. I could access
both my hard disk and CD-ROM... I can easily boot NetBSD off the hard
disk connected to the SCSI card using the following command:

boot /bandit/ADPT,2940UW/disk@0:0

it hooks right into the "partition zero" bootloader which is apparently
installed with NetBSD and boots right up.

So I suppose my question is - what's the story with documentation about
Adaptec card support on NetBSD/macppc? The 2930B card didn't work for
me under OF 1.0.5 - it's an old firmware revision, and it could
possibly be the PC version (it was an OEM card, and the Adaptec
PowerDomain control program for Mac OS says it's too old to control).
The 2940UW card (which may also have been OEM), with the firmware
flashed to version 4.1, worked fine. Please at least solicit further
testing for this - I would hate for other users to go through all the
card-swapping, NVRAM-losing trouble.

Shorah,

Henry