Subject: -current kernel cannot boot 400MHz G4 Powerbook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: David Young <dyoung@pobox.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/2003 18:50:24
Shortly after a GENERIC kernel configures bmtphy0 on my TiBook, colorful
patterns start scrolling up the screen, and then a static, solid white
cursor (OpenFirmware's? ddb's?) appears. The system appears to lock up
at that point.

Has anybody else seen this?

Ordinarily, right after bmtphy0 is configured, I see these lines:

fw0 at fwohci0fw0: maximum receive packet (2) is too small
boot device: wd0
root on wd0a dumps on wd0b
root file system type: ffs

and then init starts.

Obviously there has been a bug in fw0 for some time, now. It did not
help to remove fw0 and fwohci0 from the configuration, though.

I have tried a GENERIC kernel and the same thing happens.

I last updated on the 18th or 19th.

Dave