Subject: Re: XServe autoboot explained
To: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2003 11:03:19
At 9:21 AM +0200 7/18/03, Emmanuel Dreyfus wrote:

:)>  How well does your Xserve run 1.6.1?
:)
:)No stability problem so far. I've been building a dozen of releases in a
:)row without any trouble. The IDE performance is a bit deceiving, but I'm
:)working with Manuel to fix that.

Great!  Although, I'm a bit baffled -- I was under the impression that all
the other new models with FireWire 800 (PowerMac G4 (FW 800), PowerBook G4
(12 inch) and PowerBook G4 (17 inch)) had problems with their primary
ATA/100 bus in 1.6.x.

:)Not tried, but GENERIC is okay wrt serial speed. Only INSTALL has the
:)speed change problem.

OK, I'll assume GENERIC_MD is OK in the docs, and the users won't have any
problems with speed.

:)> I'm not sure about other situations (OF3 with UFS root and OF 1 and 2).  My
:)> impression is that there's a bootloader in the partition map which loads
:)> the CHRP file from HFS or UFS partitions.
:)
:)This sounds to be the universal way of doing the thing: works will all
:)OF versions, and it can dual-boot MacOS X.

Yes, that would be very nice.  As I understand it, that's also how yaboot
loads linuxppc.

  -- MW