Subject: Re: XServe autoboot explained
To: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/18/2003 08:21:59
> :)Apple's XServe runs NetBSD quite well. There are a few caveats that are not
> :)covered by our documentation:
> Which one?  The original Xserve or one of the newer models (Xserve (Slot
> Load) or Xserve (Cluster Node))?  We've only had reports of the original
> model working with NetBSD.

What's the difference between the two models? Mine is 1U, 3 PCI slots at
66MHz/64 bits, 2 USB, 2 firewire 800, one firewire 400, serial, built-in
giga ethernet.

> :)- In order to get default I/O to the serial console, remove the video board.
> There's probably also an Open Firmware devalias for it.  Any chance you
> could try setting your input-device and output-device to scca and
> reset-all?  That's the devalias used for the other Open Firmware 3 models
> with serial ports (i.e. PowerMacs with Griffin Gee Three serial ports
> replacing the modem).

Of course you can do that, but if you revert OF settings to defaults,
you'll need to plug-in a keyboard and monitor to set it up again. With
the video board removed, serial is the default.

> :)- Serial console runs at 56.7k in OF, not 38.4k. The install kernel runs
> :with
> :)a 38.4k serial console, therefore we must change the serial console settings
> :)after booting from OF and before running sysinst.
> Which install kernel -- INSTALL or GENERIC_MD?  INSTALL isn't really
> recommended for OF 3 systems.  Probably just a matter of a fixed speed set
> in /etc/ttys.

INSTALL.
It's not a problem of /etc/ttys: when running single-user that settigns
are not used to choose the console speed.

> Yes, this procedure ought to work on all OF versions, not just 3.  It's a
> bit kludgey, so I'm not putting it in the docs yet.  Also, MBR partitioned
> disks ought to work on all OF versions.  It'd be *great* if someone were to
> overhaul sysinst to default to one of these two behaviors.  Having OF 1/2
> and 3 use different installation methods sucks.  Also, that we don't have
> an easy way to set up a NetBSD-only disk for OF 3 in sysinst sucks.

How does MacOS X works? They have a bootloader in the apple partition
map, right? Coulnd't we setup something like that? It would be possible
to dual boot easily.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org