Subject: Re: Install on a Beige G3 / OF 2.4
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <MacPPC@caution.icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/03/2003 00:07:15
Another follow-up.

I just finished bringing up some changes to what I hope to make my
production web server.  It's a Beige G3 with the (evil) Open Firmware
2.4.

As reported earlier, I got this baby to work with System Disk 2.3.1, plus
a couple of pointers from this list.

I have now installed a Sonnet 500 Mhz G3 upgrade, which seems to work
fine, and an ATA/133 card (also Sonnet - it has a Promise chip on it)

The trouble I ran into was that once I put the ATA card into the pci
slot, the machine would no longer boot.  I got:

DEFAULT CATCH! code=FFF00700 at %SRR0: 00004000 %SRR1: 00083070

After trying several variations, I discovered that the presence of the
ATA card made all the difference.

I then remembered a note from the list: someone who claimed to have
booted from a Mac OS X CD, and that "fixed it".

Well, I booted from a Mac OS X 10.0 disk, and didn't install anything.

After that, I went back and reset the real-base (which had been reset to
"-1") and reset the boot-device to ide/@0,0 (following the lead of what it
was left set to after the CD boot)

......the machine would boot NetBSD again.

After that, I booted up NetBSD, and discovered that the PCI ATA came
up as "wd0", so I had to adjust the /etc/fstab, but other than that, all
is well.

-dgl-