Subject: Re: st device not recognized
To: Sean Sweda <sweda@advantageit.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2003 21:01:02
On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 01:12:22AM -0400, Sean Sweda wrote:
> [...]
> The 1.5.2 kernel was using the ncr driver.  I only learned about the
> siop driver when I tried to run config on my custom kernel and was
> told that "ncr" was no longer a vaild device.

You may even want to try the esiop driver. For 53c875 and newer, it gives an
appreciable performance boost for concurent access (more tagged queuing
commands per devices, less interrupt overload)

> In any case, the tape
> drive is attached to the mesh driver, so I don't think a change in the
> pci scsi controller driver would make much of a difference.

Ops, I didn't read the message carefully.

> >> scsibus1: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
> >> sd2 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <, , > SCSI0 0/direct fixed
> >> sd2: drive offline
> >
> >Strange, it looks like the adapter is getting all 0 in anserws to commands
> >sent to the adapter.
> >Is it a narrow or wide device ?
>
> To be honest, I really don't know.  I seem to remember reading that
> the Beige G3 motherboard scsi could only do narrow.

As the drive is attached to mesh and not siop, my question doesn't make
sense :)

> I guess a
> dmesg from a successful boot from 1.5.2 would be helpful here, I'll

Yes, still

> see if I can manage to get physical access to the machine this
> weekend.  What I remember about the tape drive is that it is a DDS-3 DAT
> drive and it is the only device attached to the motherboard scsi,
> probably via the standard 50 pin ribbon.
>
> > Can you try
> >scsictl sd2 identify
> >scsictl sd2 tur
>
> Sure can:
>
> marauders /home/u2/sweda# scsictl sd2 indentify
> scsictl: sd2: Device busy
> marauders /home/u2/sweda# scsictl sd2 tur
> scsictl: sd2: Device busy
>
> also:
>
> marauders /home/u2/sweda# scsictl sd2 reset
> scsictl: sd2: Device busy

Hum ...

> FWIW, I've currently unmounted the tape because I couldn't get the
> machine to boot reliably with the tape inside the drive:
>
> (current dmesg)
> sd2 at scsibus1 target 5 lun 0: <, , > SCSI0 0/direct fixed
> sd2: drive offline

Do you remember what was the error when a tape is in the drive ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>