Subject: Re: open firmware 1.0.5
To: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/27/2003 08:41:22
At 3:55 AM -0400 6/27/03, Erik Osheim wrote:

:)After struggling for a couple of days, I managed to get an 8500/120 to
:)boot a custom-built CD. The problem, as it turned out, was that OF was
:)appending ";1" to all the filenames, so the command ended up looking
:)like:
:)
:)scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF;1 NETBSD.GZ;1

Yes, that's been in the INSTALL notes for a while now (about the ;1).

:)The standard install CD is a hybrid, so I could "dir" it in OF. I spent
:)many hours cursing at the thing before building my own CD. The custom
:)CD was pure ISO9660, so I could "dir" it and immediately saw that OF
:)was appending the ";1" to all (both) of the filenames.

<sheepish>It's in the install notes now and it'll be there for the next
release of NetBSD</sheepish>.  As Makoto Fujiwara said, it ignores any
filename in the boot-device if you specify partition zero, but if you put
the wrong kernel name in the boot-file, then it fails.

  -- MW